sponsored by

Emergency information

Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) Call 1800 240 667


If you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, you can contact VBIL through National Relay Service on 1800 555 677.

If you don't speak English, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450.

The Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) provides information during and after major bushfire incidents. It also offers information to help householders, landowners and small businesses reduce bushfire risk.

In a situation where you can see or smell smoke, VBIL can advise whether or not a planned burn is in progress.

To report a fire or emergency, phone Triple Zero (000)

Ring the Victorian Information Line to find out:

Monday to Friday, 8.00am - 6.00pm. Opening times are extended during significant bushfires.

  • What you can and can't do on a Total Fire Ban day or during the Fire Danger Period (fire restrictions)
  • Current Fire Danger Ratings and what the ratings mean
  • Current DEPI fuel reduction burns and other planned burns
  • Key bushfire preparation and planning information
  • Programs, publications and services available from both CFA and DEPI, including community meetings
  • Emergency Relief Centre location details
  • Neighbourhood Safer Place location details
  • Recovery after a bushfire, including financial assistance essential water replacement and rehabilitation of assets and forest
  • Community Information Guides.

Opening times

Recorded information on specific topics can be accessed 24 hours a day.

You can also email VBIL on vbil.info@dse.vic.gov.au

Incident information is also available on the CFA website and DEPI website, or by listening to ABC radio or other emergency broadcasters.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, contact us through theNational Relay Service 

To report a fire or emergency (TTY users only), access TTY 106.

Bushfire Information for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing or Speech Impaired

  • TTY users phone 1800 555 677 then ask for 1800 240 667
  • Speak and Listen users phone 1800 555 727 then ask for 1800 240 667
  • Internet relay users connect to the NRS then ask for 1800 240 667

TTY 106 is a dedicated text-based emergency relay service with direct access to fire, police and ambulance services. It can only be contacted through a TTY machine, not from a mobile phone or ordinary phone.

Translating and Interpreting Service

If you don't speak English call the Translating and Intepreting Service on 131 450 for translated information from VBIL. If you know someone who can't speak English, provide them with this number.